What is gambling?
Gambling is wagering something of value on an event with an uncertain outcome with the intent of winning something of value. Many individuals can gamble without concern, however, for some gambling may create problems in their lives and relationships.
What are the Warning Signs of Problem Gambling?
Gambling problems can be difficult to detect. The warning signs of problem gambling include:
- Losing time from work, relationships, and important activities due to gambling
- Spending more time and money gambling than what was intended
- Borrowing money to gamble or to pay debts
- Gambling to escape worry, stress, or uncomfortable emotions
- Not being honest about the amount of time or money spent on gambling
- Selling personal items to get money to gamble
- Feelings of hopelessness
What is Gambling Counseling?
Counseling for gambling is a safe and private place to explore how gambling has impacted your life, for both the negative and positive. Gambling counselors have specialized training to understand the function of gambling and the effect in your life.
As gambling touches each person differently counseling focuses on the individual and meets your needs where you are at today. There is no pressure to stop gambling. Together, we will explore your options to assist you in choosing what works best for you.
Gambling counseling may include information on:
- Educational information on gambling such as the impact on the brain, winning, odds and how different kinds of gambling works
- Thinking patterns
- Coping skills and relaxation skills
- Identifying triggers
- Exploring the emotional meaning of money and the impact on finances
- Values and beliefs
- Feelings and emotions, including anger, grief, and loss
- Developing self-identity
- Family and relationships
- Communication and assertiveness